• Grips + Gaffers

    We've got a top notch team!


    In film and television crews, the gaffer or chief lighting technician is the head electrician, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design) of the lighting plan for a production. The key grip is the head grip, in charge of the labor and non-electrical equipment used to support and modify the lighting. They will usually supply all of the equipment as well.

    More on Gaffers & Grips

    Gaffers, Grips and How the Director of Photography Plays a Role

    The term "Gaffer" originally related to the setting up and positioning or moving of overhead equipment to control lighting levels using a gaffer. A Director of Photography is usually associated with the camera department, but the DP actually oversees the Electrical Department and Grips as well. Before the days of unions, there was not a differentiating line between members of these departments. As job titles have become more solidified, so have the departments. You may also hear the term Lighting Department, but it’s usually not accurate. Most of the time you will hear Grips and Electric called G&E.

    All Posts